Sunday, May 5, 2013

THE HANDBOOK FOR THE RECENTLY DECEASED



I started out with just a plain Whitman's Sampler box exactly like this one in the picture.

(photo courtesy of CVS via Google)

After taking a good look at the box, I decided to get out a few tools I would need.
Burgundy, black, and yellow paint (I was out of brown so I had to make it)
Glaze (or you could use mod podge or your homemade mod podge)
Fabric (I used an old t-shirt)
Brown Sharpie
Elmer's Glue
Scissors
Masking Tape
X Acto Blade Knife

I started by taking the top off the box and wrapping three sides in masking tape.  I was so delighted to see that the masking tape gave it look of pages, so that's all I had to do with that.

After wrapping the sides, I put the box back together.  I took some scrap cardboard and cut and measured it to fit one side of the book to create the binding.  Now, if you have the box then you know it came with a little white liner in there.  Use that as well as padding behind the cardboard piece.  I suggest hot gluing the piece to the "naked" side of the box (in other words, the side of the box without masking tape).  Tape the top and bottom to the binding piece using the masking tape.



Here you can see how I did that.  Sorry I don't have any actual pictures of that process.  

I wanted the box to able to actually open for the cover, I after creating the binding, I took my knife and cut the cover away from the inside of the box.


This was taken after I took the inside of the box and covered it in the fabric.  I simply then cut the pieces to fit the bottom and each side of the box.  Then I adhered it using the Elmer's glue.  Let it dry fully before you try to mess with the inside anymore.

While I waited for that to dry, I started to paint the outside.  Good thing acrylic doesn't take that long to dry, especially if you're as impatient as I am.

After the brown was dry, I did a Google image search for The Handbook for the Recently Deceased.  Make sure to find a large picture so you can see the details.  Now, if you can think of an easier way to do the cover art, then by all means do so.  I tested my talents and did the lettering and image of the people by hand using the assorted acrylic paints I already had.


Of course it's not an exact replica, but hey, close enough...right?

As an added touch, I used a brown Sharpie on a piece of scrap paper and did the "The Handbook for the Recently Deceased Press" label for the inside of the cover.

If you're wondering about the round pieces under the fabric used on the inside of the cover...they are pennies.  I glued them into place and then put the fabric over them using more glue.  After that was dry, I taped the edges down and painted those brown as well.  The pennies are to add weight to the lid and keep it closed.

After all the paint was dry, I covered the whole thing in glaze to protect it.  As some of you may know, acrylic paint can be delicate.  The glaze protects it and prevents chipping and scratches.  For a little extra stability, I attached a few felt circles to the bottom of the box.  This keeps it from directly touching whatever surface it sits on and keeps it from getting damaged on the bottom.

Here is the finished product.

I hope this helps you out.  If you don't like any method I used, then get creative and make it better!  












No comments:

Post a Comment