Friday, September 13, 2013

FROM DREAM HOUSE TO NIGHTMARE HOUSE
THE DIY HAUNTED DOLLHOUSE


What you need:
A dollhouse
Spray paint
Acrylic paint
Accessories 

Side note:  Here is the post that inspired me to do this project.  Just click
 right here.

So this is the dollhouse I started with.  It's a 1995 Barbie Dream House as discovered by a little research.  In mint condition they're worth a lot.  But since this was found at a thrift store for only $10, it definitely was not in mint condition.


The pillars on the front porch were broken and taped together, so I had to remove the tape and add some supports with hot glue.  I started out with some spray paint.  I used flat black.  Did you know that you can get cans of spray paint at Wal-Mart for only .96?  Yep, it's true.  And it might be cheap, but it works for a project like this.


This is after just one can of paint.  I ended up needing a second.  As you can see through the openings, the floors of the house fold up so that it can be closed.  I removed the floors altogether because they served no purpose for the end result.

I also created a little "yard" for my house.



After all the spray paint was dry and I was positive that I had put on enough coats of paint, I started working on the trim.  Also, it's probably best that you paint the inside of the house as well.  I used glossy paint on the inside for light reflection purposes.  I painted the roof and windows the same deep purple, and then did some of the accents in gray.


I didn't like the doorway on the top and bottom being open.  I bought some balsa wood and cut it with my xacto blade to make the doors and close up the openings.  I also added some lights to the inside.  You can get small strings of Halloween lights at Dollar Tree right now.  I used purple.  I'll post pics of it lit up after I add all the lights.  As you can see through the window, I added a fireplace.  I made the fireplace from the cabinet that had been in the house.  I ripped all the other furnishing out, except the fireplace.

So there ya go.  That's the basic stuff.  I bought dollhouse accessories from Hobby Lobby.  Except for the couch.  I happened to find that at the thrift store.  Dollhouse couches at Hobby Lobby were way too pricey.  The skeletons came from Dollar Tree.  They were black so I painted them white.  They need to show up well with the lights on...they kind of glow in the purple light.

(second floor, visible through the balcony doors)

(in the upstairs of the tower)



(open view from the back, top and bottom floors)

I added the skull to cover the "B" that was at the apex.


I added a cemetery and some trees to the yard.

The cemetery entrance was made from the headboard of an old Barbie bed.  Another thrift store find.

The grass for the yard is just floral moss that I got from the Dollar Tree.  Spray adhesive and sprinkle it on.



Completed project.

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!!!















No comments:

Post a Comment